Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 21–Jimmy Johns and Cancer

 

I had two interesting occurrences today. I had dinner at Jimmy Johns with a friend ($7.20 for those keeping up). I always love hanging out with this friend because she keeps me honest. I doubt she really understands how valuable her friendship is to me, but I always deeply value our conversations and time together. When I left last night, I felt reinvigorated to continue with this quest to become the kind of man I believe I have been called to be. My unnamed friend tends to do that without even knowing it, so thank you.

Second, I found out about a fellowship in epidemiology dealing with social behaviors and life and cancer. I had never thought about doing cancer research before, but given the way the disease has impacted my life, my interest was piqued. Then I heard I might be able to do research in the Black Belt if I got the fellowship. My interest was further piqued. I’m meditating on this idea, because even though it has nothing to do with what I was thinking of doing for my dissertation, it might be more important. The question I’m struggling with is whether it is more important for me to make a significant contribution to sociology, or use sociology to do research that might have a shot a helping people. I’m leaning towards the latter, but I’m going to be patient with my decisions and see what actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment