Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Days 24-25 - A Weekend, a Thought

Yesterday I spent $4.04 (on breakfast), and today it was $21.08 (on gas and gatorade).

I ran/walked for 35 minutes with the Limbo crowd today, but it was so hot I didn't keep pace very well.

I haven't been very productive at all on the dissertation thing, but considering I may change the whole thing, taking the last week to mostly process has been good.

This weekend there were several occasions that centered around the same thing - Life is not about me. I've said this before, but it bears repeating. The weekly newsletter from our pastor reminded me of this, our discussion this morning in Limbo reminded me of this, and several little things reminded me of this.

I spend a lot of mental energy thinking about relationships, regardless of the fact that I haven't been in a serious relationship in over 20 months. I always seem to think that if I am not dating, or at least moving towards dating, something is wrong. If life is not about me, however, then what happens or doesn't happen in my dating life is not that important. Instead, this season of life presents an opportunity to step outside myself without worrying about a significant other, to be more fearless in the way I love people or pursue whatever it is God is calling me too.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to get married or be single the rest of my life. I'm realizing, however, that it doesn't really matter. This world doesn't revolve around me. I am part of it, and there are things laid in front of me to do, hopefully to make it a better place. But I am only a part of it, which is actually pretty relieving. I don't have to drive events, and in fact, it may be better that I don't. Instead, my job is simply to see what is in front of me and respond.

I wonder what would happen if we were more worried about loving the people in our lives than gaining other people's love. If we were more concerned with others' needs than our wants, would we live such stressful lives? Would we be as unhappy as a society as we seem to be? I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing not.

No comments:

Post a Comment