Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 7 - From the Grand Canyon to Vegas

Before I say anything else, let me point out that the Grand Canyon is one of the most majestic, beautiful places on this planet. The End. I literally cannot describe the view from the southern rim, other than to say that beyond the first mile of space, it looks like someone took some red, yellow, and green paints and laid out the most incredible landscape they could. The human eye cannot perceive the distance that you can see from one end of the canyon to another. And I was lucky enough to hike upwards of four miles (I ran one of them) literally 10 feet from the edge. It was absolutely surreal.

I spent $8 to get in, and that was it for the day. I am now in Vegas, and am thus adjusting my financial expectations such that anything under $50 a night will be considered a win. I want to enjoy my vacation here without going completely nuts. I've committed to not gambling, so anything I spend here will be one pure entertainment without the delusion that I can win money from this place. I'm struggling to define being responsible in this place, so any comments on what I should expect of myself are very welcome.

Finally, I got some great work done on Max Weber's theory in the car this morning to the tune of two pages worth of summations on the values of different Protestant groups. I think this book may actually help my dissertation, but I won't bore people with the details here.

That's it tonight. I'm going to write something more in depth soon, but tonight is not the right night for it.

1 comment:

  1. Phil,

    I am finally up to reading your blog--- just haven't had time to indulge myself..

    but i didnt' realize that you went by the Grand Canyon on your way to Vegas! WHERE did you hike/walk/run? did you you enjoy the "tourist-y" things at the south rim?

    it is one of the most beautiful places on the planet! it is even more amazing from the bottom! You will have to plan to take a rafting trip at some point so you can enjoy that view!

    i know that my comment is realy about the content of your post, but couldn's resist talking about the Grand Canyon!

    RRG

    ReplyDelete