Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Reflections on Nationalism and Faith

I should be more hesitant and less hasty when it comes to elucidating my thoughts on the idea of Patriotism in the worship space. I believe it is too easy to misinterpret words into a black and white space where one is either a true American or a pinko commie. I think that is unfortunate because it dehumanizes us into sides of an issue rather than conscious people grappling with the reality of our world. I have great respect for people on numerous sides of many issues, not because I agree with all of them, but because they are honest, open, and understanding about others' viewpoints; my friendship with them is not contingent on agreement upon every issue. So when I say that the celebration of Nationalism is inappropriate for Church, I do so knowing that this is not a simple issue, but one that depends largely on personal experience.

I have a difficult view of my nation, because on the one hand I appreciate the sacrifice of my countrymen in the interests of protecting me, but on the other hand, I just don't feel right treating the USA as if it is in competition with the other nations of the world to be "better" or "more right." It just doesn't feel healthy to me. I have met, worked with, and studied with a substantial number of international folks, most of whom loved their homelands and did not feel any more or less free in this country. Yes, some had a very difficult past in their own country, but just as many had experienced oppression or violence at the hands of the US in their homeland, which is a sobering reality to deal with. My own view is not that the US is exceptionally good or exceptionally bad, but that it is simply a country, like many that came before it and will come after it. There are fantastic things about it (the people, the land, the music) and there are not so good things about it (pollution, fast food, Rush Limbaugh), but all in all it is a place and it is my home. I deeply love where I live, and the friends and family I have here, but I also deeply love the people who live other places, and struggle with the idea that my home is often in conflict with their home.

I do not struggle as much with my spiritual identity. I love the idea and the principles of Christ. I love the Way, and I want to follow it because I believe deeply that it is good and right. So when I engage in worship or meditation, it is oriented towards that which is perfect, that is to say, God (or whatever name you wish to give "it"). Celebrating a national identity is fine, even healthy for reminding us that we have to live together in this place, but there is danger in the "worship" of a nation. It creates the expectation and belief that a country can be more than it is, that the American way is a sacred path. It is not, at least not for me, because the standards for what is sacred are too high for a country to meet. I never wish that I could just be more American. I do wish, almost constantly, that I could be more like Christ, that I could adopt the attitudes and behavior that He espouses and demonstrated. Worship, when I succeed at it, is really an extended meditation on the Way that brings me closer, if only for a moment, to God. I think this is a sacred time and experience.

When I attend a worship service where this is not the clear, intended goal, I have difficulty engaging with God, and I often fail to adopt a worshipful attitude in these settings. Perhaps this is my problem, as it is not the job of others to cater to me. However, I feel nothing but discomfort when a nationalistic focus is brought into the church. It feels like idol worship, and it is only worse when I perceive, real or not, greater vigor for one's country than one's faith (I admit here that this is simply a gut feeling and is horrifically presumptuous). It's the same feeling I get when I realize I am more passionate about a football game than my spiritual growth.

Maybe this is not a problem for others, and I do not wish to prevent anyone from practicing their faith in whatever way they wish. Perhaps the correct response is for me to simply not participate in events that create a stumbling block for me (it's strange to throw a type of Sunday Service into the same category as a late night bar hop, but I'm just thinking aloud here). In any case, my intention towards others is simply to encourage a close self-examination of the relationship between faith and country. I think a bit of thought towards how we as individuals are being intentional is healthy and important in this matter, especially with regards to how our words and actions reflect our own identities, beliefs, and priorities. I say this as an imperfect person, striving to grow but still not there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment